< Back to all Attractions

The Brushy Creek Crossing at The Round Rock

Co Rd 173
Round Rock, TX

In 1851 a small community was formed on the banks of Brushy Creek, near a large round rock located in the middle of the creek. This round rock marked a convenient low-water crossing for wagons, horses and cattle. The first postmaster called the community Brushy Creek, but in 1854 the small settlement was renamed Round Rock in honor of this now famous rock. The "round rock" is located near Chisholm Trail Street in the middle of Brushy Creek. Since the first bridge across Brushy Creek was not constructed until after 1890, the large “round rock” marked a good place for Native Americans, cattle drives, and stagecoaches to cross the creek. Wagon wheel ruts are still visible in the exposed rock between #2 Chisholm Trail and Brushy Creek, probably carved by wagon trains and/or wagons laden with stone from a nearby quarry. Chisholm Trail was once called Old Stagecoach Road. According to local legend, #2 Chisholm Trail served as a stagecoach stop.
map
The Brushy Creek Crossing at The Round Rock